Thursday, July 26, 2012

Help

We call them Yayas, Maids, "Katulong", Helpers, Domestic Helpers (for abroad). Having a trust worthy and responsible hired help is difficult to find nowadays. Most of them are looking for employers who can provide a high salary (preferable 4,000 php) plus health benefits, SSS, etc. Since we belong to the middle class, we cannot afford these. And so I was left responsible in taking care of the house, which I would have to say is VEEERY DIFFICULT. 


I don't mean to say that I do not work at all because when we were kids, our mother gave us daily household chores. Every after school and during the weekends my sisters and I would take turns in washing the dishes and sweeping the floor. Then every saturday we would all help out on washing our clothes. It was always easy for me since I am the youngest and I don't do much work compared to my sisters and they do most of the difficult ones *hehehe.


But now that we are all grown up and my sister has a cute and cuddly daughter, it is more difficult now. You have to sweep/vacuum the floor, organized scattered objects (and if you have a toddler or a pre-school child in the house, this would mean CHAOS!!), cook, wash and fold the laundry, clean the bathroom, and soooo on and sooooo forth. Doing the household chores is a daily routine that should be properly planned and someone who knows time management is PERFECT for this job. With all those jobs to do, you would not have time for yourself or would have little time to take a rest.


So I really salute those hired helpers who have been providing a great service to their employers for years especially those who work abroad. They are the ones who sacrifice themselves to help their families achieve a better life. Sometimes there are physically and/or sexually abusive employers who would not even let them eat or drink all throughout the day. But lucky are those hired helpers who would be able to have caring and understanding employers. So let us value and acknowledge the people around you because great Yayas are hard to find. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment